Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Giant



Most-Wanted Monsters is thrilled to be one of more than 1500 blogs taking part in the 2012 A -Z Blogging Challenge - 26 opportunities to help you survive a paranormal apocalypse. Don't let our epic monster limericks fool you - the lore we share about the beasties featured in each daily post could literally save your life. Know them before they GET you!

GIANTS

The gentle giant, over 10 feet tall
Is often not very jolly at all
They bellow and roar
Cause a thunderous snore
Run little ones! But dare not fall
Fairy Tales such as Jack and the Beanstalk often depict giants as stupid or violent monsters, frequently said to eat humans, especially children. They can roar like thunder, make the earth shake, and are known for their keen sense of smell…fee fi fo fum.

And infamous for their prodigious size and strength, these beasties have shared more than their fifteen minutes of fame.

With over three dozen known “groups”, the giant is a storybook and pop culture favorite. From the one-eyed Cyclops to the Hundred-Armed monsters (yes,with 100 arms and 50 heads each), this creature of giant proportions has made many appearances in classic fiction and on film.

Indeed, the most famous Giant may be Goliath. Standing 6 feet, 9 inches tall, this biblical giant faced off against young David, and lost – giving hope to the universal underdog.

SURVIVAL TIP: What to do if you’re faced with a giant that isn’t jolly and green? Use your wit. While not all giants are violent, the majority are a few bricks short of a full load. Outsmarting them may be your best chance of escape – unless of course, you’re channeling your inner David. But for goodness sakes, never wake a sleeping giant - they tend to be a bit grumpy.

Fee Fi Fo Fum, what "G" beast are you frightened of? (Or, who is your favorite giant?)Tell us in the comments below and you could win an e-copy of SPIRITED, an anthology of 13 haunting stories.

And then, why not head over to some of the other blogs on the A-Z Blogging Challenge.

19 comments:

  1. Love the Giant theme. Can't wait to see James and the Giant Killer. Looks spectacular. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so excited for that, too! The writer in me wishes I would have thought of that! Glad someone did :-)

      Delete
  2. This is GREAT. I'd never actually want to SEE a giant, but it's great reading about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Rice wrote my favorite family saga The Mayfair Witches, her Taltos giants have always been my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely forgot about the Taltos giants. Thank you! Great choice.

      Delete
  4. I think goblins are interesting. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the blog! We love goblins, too.

      Delete
  5. Hi, I think the giants in Lord of the Rings were the absolute worst. Now, I got go and see some more blogs, so I can get around to all of them before the month is gone. Best regards to you, Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By worst do you mean, scariest? We'd tend to agree...

      Delete
  6. I'm a smaller gentleman so I grew up having plenty of nightmares about giants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I know what you mean! I'm short - my hubby is a giant by comparison. I think that's why I conquered my fear of them :-)

      Delete
  7. The baseball Giants scare the heck outta me. Maybe it's their big bats. And their big balls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great "G" post! I'd have to give it some thought as to a giant that would frighten me...off hand, I'm stumped...maybe I'm in need of a good scary troll/middle earth movie!!

    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, there's always time for a good scary troll/middle earth movie :-)

      Delete
  9. Excellent advice:-) enjoyed reading your entries. thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martine! These posts aren't just helpful, they're fun!

      Delete
  10. Awesome G post. Giants have a long history in monster-lore. It's probably the idea of being powerless or child-like. New follower.
    BTW, you got a versatile blogger award from my blog! Head over to pick it up.
    http://filmsketchr.blogspot.com/2012/04/explore-wooden-planet-of-alien-3-and-my.html
    - Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
    @thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

    ReplyDelete